Known in British tabloids as “the white widow,” she was married to one of the suicide bombers in the 2005 attack on London’s transit system, and British media have speculated she was involved in the mall attack.
But Lenku suggested that Interpol raised the issue of the international alert. He declined to discuss any links to the mall attack, saying he “wouldn’t want to pre-empt the position of the forensic investigation taking place.”
Dramatic new video filmed by the Kenyan Red Cross shows responders rushing to help the injured shortly after the assault began on Sept. 21.
The footage, obtained by The Associated Press shows responders entering the mall’s upper level parking area and treating injured amid bodies on the pavement.
The end of the graphic video appears to show several seriously wounded and dead people where a children’s cooking event had been taking place. Injured people are wailing and calling out for help.
Inside the mall Friday — the last of three days of an official mourning period — a baby stroller could be seen overturned on the marble floor next to wilting fresh flowers at a florist’s shop. Slabs of concrete sat on top of flattened cars in the parking area. Elsewhere, there were rows of scorched vehicles.
Kenyan officials have offered at times contradictory accounts of the siege and are reluctant to release many details of the investigation prematurely.
Lenku urged patience, saying the investigation is “a very delicate and complex operation that requires time.”
He said no bodies have been recovered from the rubble and no official reports of missing persons have been filed. The Kenyan Red Cross has said 59 people are unaccounted for, raising fears of bodies in the debris.
The possibility that government troops were behind the roof collapse only added to the frustrations of Kenyans questioning what happened at the mall.