Kokomo Tribune; Kokomo, Indiana

October 17, 2013

4 die in Merrillville from apparent carbon monoxide


Kokomo Tribune

---- — MERRILLVILLE, Ind. (AP) — Police in northwestern Indiana say two children and two adults have been found dead inside their home from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Merrillville Police Chief Joseph Petruch says a relative found the family members dead Wednesday evening after going to check on them. Petruch tells The Times of Munster that the carbon monoxide came from a generator found in the home's garage.

Petruch says the rental home in the town just south of Gary didn't have electrical power. He says investigators believe the family could have died Saturday.

The Lake County coroner's office says those who died are 41-year-old Micheal Nichols, 38-year-old Kennetha Purnell, 13-year-old Matthew Nichols and 11-year-old Morgan Nichols.