Griffin — A worker at a southwestern Indiana pig operation has been critically injured after falling into a pit filled with hog manure.
Griffin Fire Chief Tim Compton tells the Evansville Courier & Press that an employee of Griffin Pig fell into an 8-foot-deep pit that is used to hold manure. The manure produces methane gas, which is highly explosive and can cause asphyxiation.
Compton says the incident occurred about 8 a.m. The worker was in the pit for about 45 minutes before another employee noticed and flagged down a Wadesville firefighter.
The firefighter used a rope to lower himself into the pit and rescue the man.
The worker was flown by helicopter to an Evansville hospital. Compton did not release his name.