Nineteen businesses and organizations will battle it out for bragging rights as the best chili in town during Lovin’ Spoonful, a free chili competition and tasting. From hemp chili to chocolate chili to chicken chili to Mexican chili and more, downtown businesses and organizations will put their chili-crafting skills to the test while vying for awards during First Friday, set for 5:30 to 9 p.m. Friday, Feb. 1, in downtown Kokomo, a press release said.
And you can have a say in those awards! Winners will be chosen in three categories: Judges’ Choice Chili, People’s Choice Chili and People’s Choice Showmanship. Have a taste of all the chili entries as you make your way around downtown locations and then vote for your favorite.
To vote, pick up a map at the Information Booth inside the Kokomo Perspective offices at 209 N. Main St. or find a map at any chili location. You must turn your completed map in at the Information Booth by 8 p.m. in order for your vote to count. You can even watch the officials judging the chili by stopping in at the Perspective offices starting at 5:30 p.m.
The first 500 people will receive a free, color-changing, First Friday mood spoon to keep.
“We’re always looking for ways to decrease our ecological footprint and event waste and this was a great place to do that,” said Susan Alexander, manager of Downtown Creative Placemaking for the Greater Kokomo Economic Development Alliance, in the release. “With 500 guests using one spoon instead of 19, it will stop 8,500 spoons from going into the garage can.”
But wait there’s more!
• The Kokomo-Howard County Public Library will have a Valentine’s Day-themed scavenger hunt and children are invited to make a Valentine craft. The library’s gallery will open its Sam Prifogle exhibit, hosted by the artist.
• The Coterie will have live music with Moonbeau performing at 9 p.m. There’s no cover charge.
• Bind Café will have a Black History Month celebration with kids’ activity and a craft, as well as Black History Jeopardy. There will be a live re-enactment by Doris Tudor titled “How I Got Over!”
• Who’s Yer Coustic will perform at Wings, Etc.
• Court Appointed Special Advocates of Howard County will be taking registrations for the 2019 CASA St. Patrick’s Day 5k.
• Artworks Gallery will host guest artist Sherry Temby.
• Play a ukulele at Sound of Music.
• Tin Man Brewing will host a charity drag show for the Kokomo Pride Youth Group.
• DJ Lemi Vice will perform at Sycamore Social Club. There will be no cover from 10 to 11 p.m.
• The IU Kokomo Downtown Gallery will have a contemporary drawing exhibition opening reception.
• Kingdom Cards & Games will host demos of Bohnanza & Dungeon Mayhem.
• LeaderOne Financial invites you to check out its new lounge.
• Mo Joe Coffee Co. will have live music.
• Warm up by the fire pit outside PF Hendricks & Co.