IN THEATERS THIS WEEK
• “Dark Phoenix” (PG-13): After a rescue mission in space, Jean Grey begins to develop incredible powers that corrupt and turn her into a dark version of herself. Now the X-Men must decide if the life of a team member is worth more than everyone in the world. Starring Sophie Turner, Jennifer Lawrence, James McAvoy and Jessica Chastain.
• “The Secret Life of Pets 2” (PG): In the continuing story of pet friends and their secret adventures, Max faces some major changes after his owner, Katie, gets married and now has a child. With voice work from Kevin Hart, Harrison Ford, Patton Oswalt and Eric Stonestreet.
• “Late Night” (2019): As she fights to save her long-running talk show, the pioneering host (Emma Thompson) has her world turned upside down when she hires her only female staff writer (Mindy Kaling) in an effort to smooth over diversity concerns.
NOW OUT ON VIDEO
• “A Madea Family Funeral” (PG-13): Director and star Tyler Perry says this is the last time he will don the wig and makeup to play Madea. This one involves a family reunion that turns into planning for a funeral.
• “Gloria Bell” (R): A free-spirited divorcée (Julianne Moore) in her 50s – who spends her days at a straight-laced office job – seeks out love at L.A. dance clubs.
NEWS OF THE WEIRD
By Chuck Sheppard
Unclear on the Concept: Leonard Olsen, 70, was arrested in Lakeland, Florida, on May 10 for reckless driving after an off-duty sheriff’s deputy filmed him sitting on his sunroof while his Cadillac motored down the road at about 40 mph. When Florida Highway Patrol troopers asked him about riding on his sunroof, Olsen said he “didn’t know about that” but later admitted that the car was on cruise control. “The car drives itself and has a gigantic computer in it,” he said, according to WTSP. “I thought it would be a nice way to praise God for a minute ... and that’s what I did.” After his arrest, Olsen told officers he would rather be taken to jail than back to his wife, who “treats (him) like a servant.”