IN THEATERS THIS WEEK
• “The Hustle” (PG-13): Anne Hathaway and Rebel Wilson star as female scam artists, one low rent and the other high class, who team up to take down the dirty rotten men who have wronged them.
• “Pokémon Detective Pikachu” (PG): In a world where people and Pokémon coexist, a young man searching for clues in the disappearance of his father discovers he can communicate with a Pickachu that longs to be a detective. Ryan Reynolds voices the cute yellow critter.
• “Poms” (PG-13): A group of women (including Diane Keaton and Pam Grier) form a cheerleading squad at their retirement community, proving that you’re never too old to ‘bring it!’
• “Tolkien” (PG-13): The formative years of the famous Middle-Earth author are explored as he finds friendship, love and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts at school as WWI threatens to engulf the world. With Nicholas Hoult and Lily Collins.
NOW OUT ON VIDEO
• “What Men Want” (R): A female sports agent (Taraji P. Henson) who has been constantly boxed out by her male colleagues gains the power to hear men’s thoughts, getting an unexpected edge as she races to sign the NBA’s next superstar.
• “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part” (PG): It’s been five years since everything was awesome in Bricksburg but the citizens are facing a huge new threat: invaders from outer space, wrecking everything faster than they can rebuild.
• “They Shall Not Grow Old” (R): Peter Jackson directs this documentary homage to the British troops of the WWI with never-before-seen-footage to commemorate the centennial of the end of the war.
• “The Prodigy” (R): A mother (Taylor Schilling) concerned about her young son’s disturbing behavior thinks something supernatural may be affecting him.
NEWS OF THE WEIRD
By Chuck Sheppard
Every Day’s a Holiday: You don’t need to be celebrating a birthday to get a special cake these days. In Nashville, bakers at Signature Desserts made the news in early March when they filled an order for a woman trying to sweeten the deal for her husband, who was undergoing a vasectomy. FOX 17 reported the cake was decorated with lemons and read, “100% Juice, No Seeds. Happy Vasectomy!” The pleased recipient “loved it!” according to his wife. The news outlet also reports that doctors see a big spike in vasectomies during the NCAA basketball tournament, when men have a constant source of entertainment as they heal.