The IHSAA on Sunday drew sectional pairings for the 47th annual state football tournament. For some of Class 5A and all of the lower four classes, sectionals begin on Oct. 25. Sectionals for Class 6A and most of Class 5A begin on Nov. 1.
Western’s boys soccer team celebrated Saturday afternoon after the whistle went off finishing the Panthers’ 2-0 victory over Oak Hill in the championship of the Class 2A Oak Hill Sectional. But even as parents snapped pictures and the players mingled on the field, thoughts were already on next Saturday.
Just 64 seconds after the opening whistle Saturday night, Western’s girls soccer team put itself on its way to a third straight sectional title.
With 10:33 left in the third quarter and his team leading 21-6 after a Sheridan touchdown, Eastern football player Zane Downing took the ensuing kickoff at his own 23-yard line, started down the right side of the field and liked what he saw.
WEST LAFAYETTE — Kokomo’s football team saw its two-game winning streak come to an end Friday night as Class 5A No. 10-ranked Harrison hammered the Wildkats 51-0 in a North Central Conference game at A.J. Rickard Field.
Western and Northwestern will meet for the third time this season on Saturday. The old rivals booked tickets to a third tussle with comfortable victories Thursday night in the semifinals of the Northwestern Girls Soccer Sectional.
CONVERSE — A rivalry game that was expected to be tense beforehand tilted Eastern’s way almost instantly after kickoff Tuesday night. Lance VanMatre controlled a bouncing ball in the box and scored just 92 seconds into the Comets’ game against Northwestern.
Kokomo's boys tennis team saw ran into a buzzsaw Tuesday as three-time defending state champion Carmel overpowered the Wildkats 5-0 in the Kokomo Regional's semifinal round.
This Week's Circulars
- Missing Peru man found dead
- Ind. 26 closed over U.S. 31 for next 30 days
- UAW letter to GM indicates that strike won't end quickly
- Police seeking suspect in shooting
- Shots fired incident leads to arrest warrant
- Bona Vista sells long-time Peru facility to Kokomo-based church
- Deputies: Man found with stolen Windfall police badge
- Reports of shots fired triples on northeast side
- Man convicted of robbing Peru gas station sentenced to 47 years
- 'They're my battle scars': Fighting breast cancer tests toughness of 35-year-old Navy veteran